Ermida de S. Sebastião

The Ermida de São Sebastião (Chapel of St Sebastian) must have been built before 1594. Originally a rural chapel, its simplicity is its defining feature. It has a Mannerist structure, the interior of which is replete with tile panels. Despite having been heavily damaged by the 1755 earthquake, the chapel still contains several motifs worthy of mention.

A crucifix, dated 1628 which was the year of its placement, is to be found at the entrance to the chapel. Before entering, there is a small porch which houses two particular motifs which flank the church door: a panel of tiles representing the Blessed Sacrament, and a bas-relief of the Crucified Christ.The latter is a work by the 20th Century German sculptor and painter, Hein Semke.

17th Century Tiles

In the nave of the church, of particular interest, are four tiled panels that date from the 17th Century and depict different episodes in the life of Saint Sebastian.

The high altar in the presbitery, features an unusual tiled representation of the same saint.

Under the ownership of the Cascais Municipality, the Capela de São Sebastião was ceded to the parish in December 2016. Nowadays, the chapel is mainly used for the celebration of sacraments and occasional prayers services.

Mass times at Ermida de S. Sebastião

Regular Mass is not held at this chapel.


Parque Marecha Carmona
Avenida Rei Umberto II de Itália
2750-319 Cascais

Opening Times

The church is only opened for celebrations.

To be King
Charity and Service