Capela de S. José da Bicuda

The construction of the Capela de S. José da Bicuda (Chapel of St Joseph of Bicuda) was mandated by Joaquim Nunes Ereira, in 1944. Nowadays, it is located on Rua das Codornizes which, during the time of its construction, was in an area known as Bairro do Ereira, where the workers of Quinta da Bicuda lived. At the start of the 21st century, the neighbourhood was demolished, giving way to a housing complex. The chapel, however, remains and provides a place of worship for the local inhabitants.

The chapel is dedicated to St Joseph and in addition to the image of the saint that heads the presbytery, there is a further stone image of St Joseph on the church’s façade. The presbytery features tilework panels “azulejos” depicting four scenes from the life of Saint Joseph.

In addition to regular worship, the chapel serves as a place for meetings and prayer groups from the Legion of Mary.

Adapted from Stories of the History of Cascais

Mass Times at Capela de S. José da Bicuda




Rua das Codornizes, 545

Opening Times

The church is only opened for celebrations.

To be King
Charity and Service