Located at the entrance to the town this small chapel was, more than likely, originally built and dedicated to Our Lady of the Conception (Nossa Senhora da Conceição). This little seafront chapel, along with the faithful inside, survived both the 1755 earthquake and the subsequent tsunami (seaquake) that followed. Such an event was seen as miraculous and, subsequently, the chapel gained in devotion from the people of Cascais. It was after such time that it probably became known as Nossa Senhora da Conceição dos Inocentes (Our Lady of the Conception of the Innocent).
As the main church in Cascais was destroyed in the earthquake, the people of Cascais probably worshipped here in the immediate aftermath.
It was only during the 19th Century that the two side naves of the chapel were built.
Every year on the 8th of December (the day of the Immaculate Conception), a procession is held in this church which is well attended by the inhabitants of Cascais.
Finally, it should be noted that next to the chapel there is a crucifix, dating from 1634, which was erected in memory of the shipwreck that occurred in 1609.
Nowadays, whilst the traditional Catholic Mass and procession on the 8th of December remain an annual fixture, it is the Moldavian Orthodox Community that use the chapel as their place of worship.
Under the direction of the Moldavian Orthodox community.
Rua Frederico Arouca, 105
The church is only opened for celebrations.